Name:
Location: Lakewood, Colorado, United States
  • Sarah's Blog
  • Era's Blog
  • Lauren's Blog
  • Second Wind Website
  • Battlecry Website
  • Mike the Headless Chicken Website
  • No Sugar Club
  • Rachel's Blog
  • Monday, July 03, 2006

    Love-an insite into my deep thoughts. (oh boy)

    As many of you know, I have been trying to memorize a verse of the Bible every day. It has been really exciting. I have a list of Bible verses, and every night I look the next one up. It's really fun to not know what you are going to find until you open the Bible. Anyways, a lot of the verses I have been reading deal with love. I decided to study a bit more, and I like what I have found. Ahem.

    In our culture today, the concept of love has been very messed up. People think of it as more of a feeling, that giddy sort of "Oh my gosh, he likes me! (giggle giggle)" feeling. Biblical love, however, is a much different thing altogether. I mean, think of it, when Jesus was dying on the cross because he loved us, he wasn't thinking "Oh my gosh! She/he likes me!!!!!(giggle giggle)". For one thing, he was in too much pain to giggle, and for another, not many people at the time, or now for that matter like Jesus. Rather they despised him, enough to kill him in the most disgraceful, humiliating, and painful ways of death. That was not the kind of love that Jesus had. Love, true love, is much different.

    In this time period, 50% of all marriages end in divorce. When young people marry, their minds and hearts are filled with feelings: feelings of attraction; feelings of excitement etc. So if true love equals feelings, why do so many relationships end bad? Because they aren't concentrating on Biblical love. In 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 it says "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud, or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Love will last forever, but prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will all dissapear."

    So as you see, love is a powerful thing. It means sacrificing yourself to uplifting others. It means being patient and kind. It means putting others before yourself. Love is more powerful than any hate. God's love was powerful enough to give up his son to die for us. ("For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, so that those who believe in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." --John 3:16) Jesus' love was so powerful that he endured more pain and humiliation than we will ever have to, and while he was hanging bleeding from the cross, he thought not of the pain that he was in, but of all of the unworthy people he was saving, and how much he loved them/us. ("And here is how to measure it---the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends." --John 15:13) God loves us. When you really think about that phrase, it means so much more than you ever thought before. That phrase is what keeps me going.

    So when God commands us to love others ("So now I am giving you a new commandment. Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other." --John 13:34) he doesn't just mean to go out, and have fuzzy feelings for everyone, because I'll tell you right now, that is not going to happen. It means to give yourself up for them. To act kind, and patient, through every circumstance, no matter what, to everyone. So, I guess I'll close this with two sentences. Whoever is reading this, I love you. K bye.

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Erika Anneliese said...

    Yay! That makes me happy. And sad at the same time.

    2:56 PM  
    Blogger Breanna Monique said...

    Yeah. It makes me pretty happy, too. Why does it make you sad?

    2:05 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home